H2O

Image courtesy of openclipart.org

On March 22, 2012, people across the globe celebrated World Water Day.  Below are some interesting water facts from PBS.org and treehugger.com.

2.2 million (10+06) people die every year from diseases related to unsafe drinking water.

On average, humans consume 16,000 gallons (10+04) of water in a lifetime–that’s 256,000 8oz glasses (10+05).

The surface area of the Earth is 5.1006 x 10+08 km2.  70% of Earth is covered by water, but only 2.5% of that is fresh water while the other 97.5% is salt water. 

1.2 billion people (10+09) don’t have access safe drinking water and half the world’s population is without adequate water purification systems.

500,000 tons (10+05) of pollutants enter U.S. lakes and rivers every single day.  That’s 365 billion pounds (10+11) each year.

Out of 191 of our world’s nations, 10 of them share 65% of the world’s annual water resources.  Americans take the cake, using 2,500 cubic liters of water each year, or double the world’s average.  That is enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool for each and every one of us.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

  • Countdown to Powers of Ten Day

    • 10/10/10 1286 days ago